What I love most about sewing for my girls is that I can coordinate them yet design for each of their personalities and body types. It gives me so much joy to think about what would compliment each girl individually, then try to dovetail those designs with an overall concept.
Grecian Ombre Maxi-dress
I'll get to the ombre dyeing later, but I also added the embellishment of ombre knit flowers made from the same fabric as the dress. These are super simple.
|For a Grecian dress, I designed a Grecian braid. Anyone interested in a tutorial?|
Designer Ruffle Ombre Maxi-dress
Extrapolating the shape of the rest of the skirt from where the shirt ended, I ended up with a v-neck design tight through the waist and flaring slightly through to the floor.
But the true joy is in the ruffles embellishing the front of the dress.
I knew what I wanted to do here when I found this instructional guide among a box of random interesting stuff my grandma gave me years ago and I've been just recently going through a bit at a time.
Back to the butterfly dress . For this dress I used Simplicity 5695, and combined views to get the desired result. I did shorten the sleeve a little to get more of a cap-sleeve. Then I took a couple of butterflies, backed them with pink knit, and sewed them on through the center of the butterflies as a dimensional appliqué.
I started off my ombre experiment by following the ombre dyeing instructions on the RIT dye website. More or less. I didn't wrap my dresses around a pole, and I didn't dye to the top of the dress - just the bottom.
My first dye job was a failure :( I was so excited by how the dresses looked. The Grecian dress was finished except for the flowers, the ruffle dress wasn't anywhere near finished, since I had to individually dye each ruffle and the sleeve ruffles before sewing them on, but I could still see how gorgeous they were going to be. I followed the instructions - rinsed in cold, then in warm, then washed in the washing machine. All the dye came out. Almost all the dye. Enough stayed in to make the pink dresses look dirty, like they had been in the mud. I was SO upset! I was ready to sew on the ruffles and have the girls wear them to church the next day! Alas, it was not to be.
But if at first you don't succeed, dye, dye again. With a second packet of RIT, this time I followed the instructions on the box, boiling the water. This process wasn't quite so fun. Working over boiling water was hot and sweaty, especially as I employed dip-dye techniques of keeping the fabric moving almost constantly to avoid lines of dye. Plus these instructions double the ombre instruction dye time - so it takes twice as long! But it WORKED!!
|First Attempt Dyeing Flowers: Wicking|
|Second Attempt Dyeing Flowers: Tie-Dye|