I meant to take more process pictures this time, but forgot - oops. The garland is constructed by using a needle and thread to sew each shape to the next, knotting the thread at the top and bottom of the shapes. Then the string of shapes is sewn to the ribbon. Construct another string of shapes and attach it to the ribbon about four to six inches over. Keep doing this until the desired length is achieved. I find it looks better to keep the lengths random rather than all the same. It moves better in the air current, and it looks more aesthetically pleasing. This one was made rather quickly, and there are things I'd change if I went back and did it again, but it worked well all in all. I tried that green sticky mounting clay stuff instead of scotch tape this time, and I used ribbon that matched my paint rather than bright white, so the base was more subtle.
Voila! Pony birthday! Still not sure if it equals Isaac's Transformers birthday that was less papercrafting but more impressive Photoshop fun, but it made Lily very happy, and that is the entire point.